Sunday, June 7, 2009

READING A LOT!

So far I've read two student novels.  One is by Margaret Peterson Haddix who wrote the Shadow Children series.  It's entitled Double Identity.  If you've ever read The Face on the Milk Carton, then you may see some similarities.  However, Double Identity throws in some science fiction twists at the end.  The second novel was Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Green.  I was considering it as part of a WWII themed literature circle.  It was very good, however, the content was pretty mature (child abuse, race relations, etc.), and the book is probably more appropriate for middle schoolers.

Professionally I'm reading  Reading Power: Teaching Students to Think While They Read by Adrienne Gear.  It was influenced by Harvey's and Goudvis' Strategies That Work, but it was put into practice in Canada.  I'm not too far into it yet (only the first chapter), but it suggests educators not forget what is developmentally appropriate.  Additionally, I'm reading Word Savvy: Integrated Vocabulary, Spelling, and Word Study by Max Brand.  I'm getting a lot of good ideas!!

Maybe I'll actually read an adult novel just for fun next!
Danielle

3 comments:

dcooper said...

Danielle,
First of all, thanks for posting! I think this is a fun way for us to have conversations that we don't always have time for.
I love Summer of My German soldier. I agree that it is a bit "heavy" for fifth graders. Wise call...
It's interesting that you are also looking at word work. Maybe we can compare notes soon.
Hope you find something fun to read just for you.

dcooper said...

Thanks for sharing Reading Power with me. I have already seen things I want to use. All your sticky notes were helpful.
D

Annetta said...

You really have been busy reading! My goal was to have read much more by now. What is cool is that you are reading ahead books you know your students will read and reflecting on your teaching practice. Take time to read books for enjoyment as well.